Thursday, January 31, 2013

Day 31 - Wrap-Up

I figure since it's the end of the month I should do some sort of wrap up post as to how my New Years Resolutions are going so far even though the flu has knocked a lot of my nicely-laid plans all out of whack.

Aaaanyway...

Let's take a look at what my plans were and see where I am:

Diet:

GOAL 1) Starting January 1, I am doing Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet for 2 weeks.
 
Yep.  I wasn't perfect, but I was pretty darn good and I felt the benefits immensely.


GOAL 2) After that, I'll probably add in some fruits and sweet potatoes, and stick to a more Paleo/Primal food plan.

I didn't really add in many carbs, except for if I actively had, say, 4 bites of the Capital Grille's flourless chocolate cake.  I pretty much ate protein, fats and non-starchy vegetables otherwise (except during The Flu.)

GOAL 3) I'll see how I feel, but I plan to be strict for 30 days and then possibly give myself a splurge day. 
 
Well, I wasn't exactly strict for 30 days, so no splurge day this month.  I had a dessert here, a piece of candy there, and then ate carbs pretty exclusively while I was sick because that was all that sounded moderately appetizing.  No wheat, though, which is good.


Exercise:

GOAL 1) Two strength training classes per week, most likely Monday and Friday mornings.
GOAL 2) At least two 30-60 minute cardio workouts per week.
GOAL 3) Separate from #2, I'll walk home from work when I can.
 
Overall I did not excel with the exercising this month.  At all.  I focused on getting my food in line and getting through the carb withdrawal for the first couple of weeks.  I ellipticaled once, I went to one strength training class, and I went for a few long walks. 

Still, I lost a little more than 5 pounds this month and at least 10 inches (I haven't officially measured since January 21, but I quickly took my waist, hip and chest measurements the other day just to get an idea and they're all down).

February starts tomorrow and it's time to get serious about exercise.  I plan to continue focusing on low-carb, whole foods, because I'm through the carb withdrawal and I feel good, and I'll implement my exercise plan for real.

Less than 4 months until my swim!

No comments: