Thursday, January 24, 2013

Day 24 - Flu-ish & Cookies

Jason got sick starting Monday afternoon and then was REALLY sick yesterday (Wednesday).  Jason doesn't get sick, and when he does, it's usually over and done within 24 hours or so.  I stayed home from my Young Women's activity last night so that I could get him plenty of tea and Gatorade and bland foods.  I felt a little guilty for having left him alone all day while I went to work, but I had no idea he was so sick.

Today he is much better. His temperature is down and he's all around more perky.  Though he's still coughing and he gets tired easily.

However, this morning I woke up with a cough and a scratchy throat.  I texted my boss and told him it was his call whether I came in or not and he told me to stay home and not spread our plague.  Then he chided me about not getting a flu shot when we were on the phone an hour later.  I guess Jason and I were too cocky with all of our "we don't get flu shots and we never get the flu" big talk.

My fingers are crossed that my immune system is in peak form thanks to my healthy lifestyle over the past few weeks and instead of descending into full-fledged flu, this will be the worst I feel.  It's possible, right.

The other fun thing is today is the 3rd in a series of the COLDEST DAYS OF THE YEAR and we have no heat.  The furnace stopped out of the blue this morning and Jason realized that the gauge on our oil tank was stuck and instead of 3/8 of a tank of oil we actually have 0/8 of a tank of oil.  The oil delivery comes tomorrow and we're hoping our pipes don't freeze tonight.  We've opened up the faucets and everything.

We're holed up in our bedroom with blankets and the cat and a space heater and are a comfortable 63 degrees.  Meanwhile, the thermometer in the family room just hit 39.

In the meantime, I'm prepping for possibly feeling worse tomorrow and I just loaded up the dishwasher, since I think between us and all of our cups of tea we've used pretty much every mug in the house.  I put some Paleo chocolate chip cookies in the oven to cook while I was cleaning.  I just ate one and they're pretty darn tasty.  Not exactly the same as the real thing of course, but still yummy.  This recipe will be going in my regular treat rotation and I'll try butterscotch chips in the future.

No comments: