Monday, January 07, 2013

Day 7 - Banana Bread

(The good thing about starting this whole thing on January 1 is it's really easy to keep track of what day I'm on)

Friday afternoon I felt kind of blah and was really craving sugar.  I went to the store near my office mid-afternoon and got some beef jerky and nuts, which at least satisfied me enough to get through the afternoon without caving. I'm always reticent to eat beef jerky at work because the odor is so strong.  I got some anyway and then plead ignorance when my co-worker asked, "Do you smell smoke...?"

Saturday I thought about making paleo blueberry muffins that my friend Donna posted on Facebook, but decided to try Paleo banana bread instead since I recently rediscovered a recipe I've been sitting on for several months.  Yeah, I had some fruit this weekend, but it was Paleo so I'm not too bothered about it.  The recipe is here.

It didn't really turn out so much bread as bread pudding.  I discovered too late that I didn't have any coconut flour, so I used almond meal instead.  Despite the lack of structural integrity, it tasted SO good!  Especially when I mixed a tad bit more almond butter into the bread and warmed it all up.  I also rediscovered my abiding love for almond butter this weekend.

I had planned to go to strength training this morning, but I got to bed too late.  I need to be better about going to bed early enough that I can actually get out of bed at 5:50 AM.  I have a meeting tonight, which means I can't go to the gym after work.  So I brought my sneakers and I'm going on a lunch walk.  That won't count as one of my workouts for the week, but at least I'm getting up and moving.

Oh here's another observation: getting the cloudy feeling out of my head means I actually want to be more active.  Friday at work I was crawling out of my skin sitting at my desk all day and really wished I had some comfy shoes so I could go for a quick walk.  Saturday we were at home all day, but I got a lot of things organized in the kitchen and prepped some food for the week.  I also cleaned out a couple of email accounts and emailed a bunch of people about places to stay in St. John in May.  Yesterday afternoon after church Jason and I watched a movie and even though I had been drowsy during the movie, I bounced up and was raring to go to start taking down our Christmas decorations.  I've missed this feeling of wanting to DO things rather than just sit and watch TV and be completely unengaged.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tigger Returns, that is a wonderful feeling and I know exactly what you mean when you talk about the progressive head dive into fogland if exercise isn't a daily thing. Also I sometimes get antsy pants and sometimes get 'I don't want to talk to anyone'. I know that is just poor endorphin levels too. Happy your almond butter is working for you. I don't think I've ever had any - knowingly anyway.

DAM said...

Hey there! We made the PaleOMG blueberry muffins recipe today. I'm here to tell you...don't. It wasn't horrible, just overly rich with almond butter (which I normally LOVE, but this was too much). Gonna try Elana's Pantry's blueberry recipe next time.

Very inspired by your renewed efforts toward healthful living! Gonna check out some CrossFit boxes this week...wish me luck, I only hope I can be half as good as you in sticking to some kind of healthful eating/exercise program!