Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Knees

Apparently now my knees are rebelling. The rebelliousness is just moving up my legs, I guess. The next couple times I run, I expect my hips will hurt.

Last night after work I went to the gym, planning to do some strength training and to get going with Week 2 of Couch to 5K.

Of note: my arms are getting stronger. First, I upped the weight on the bicep curls machine and did 3 sets of 10. Which means I actually get to use the pin now! 20 pounds is the default setting, but now I'm up to 35 pounds! (I did mention my arms are weak and piddly, yes?) Second, when I took the big baking sheet with the roasted broccoli and asparagus on it out of the oven and used my left arm to tip the sheet over a mixing bowl to dump the veggies in, there was no struggle. Sometimes I can't hold the sheet up for quite as long as I need to. Last night, no problem.

So I did some arm and leg weights for about 20 minutes and headed over to the treadmill. My legs felt a little sore from our hike/walk in the woods on Saturday, but it wasn't so bad during my 5-minute warm-up walk. The second I started the jogging interval, my knees felt like they were going to fall off. I did 60 seconds of jogging instead of 90 seconds, walked for 90 seconds, and tried another jogging interval. Same thing. I managed to eke out 4 jogging intervals, but finally stopped after 15 minutes.

I was sore all night and the few times I woke up during the night and tried to roll over, it was a struggle because my knees hurt so bad. So no swim this morning. Heck, I couldn't really walk very well. Having to run to catch my bus didn't help things. After walking from the bus to the office (all of like 200 feet) I felt a little nauseated.

They seem to be feeling better now, but I think I'm going to take Jason's advice and stick to swimming for the rest of the week. It's just bizarre.

After the gym, I made a great dinner: Broiled Lemon Caper Mahi Mahi and Roasted Broccoli and Asparagus. Fabulous!

No comments: