Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Feeling Fit

Fitness Check-In: swam for 30 minutes this morning. 50 lengths. Out of swimming shape, but still got it done. Will do Day 2 of the sit-up, push-up and squat challenges tonight.

Also, I checked my heart rate earlier today while I was sitting at my desk and after only a couple of weeks of regular work outs, my resting heart rate is down to 54 bpm. It will probably be slower if I check it right when I wake up. Jason said, "I'm surprised you're able to stay alive."

At the beginning of my 8th grade year we had a physical check-up in PE. They weighed and measured us, did some other fitness gauges and finally had us sit still and take our resting heart rates. Mine was very low compared to everyone else - around 60, I think - and my teacher made me take it again. Since I had just weighed in as one of the heavier girls in class (in front of everyone, of course, which was mortifying), I'm sure he thought there was no way my heart rate could be so low. But I had just come off a summer of swim team so the joke was on him. The 2nd time around, it was exactly the same and he had to write it down on his little chart.

While swimming since I was 6 years old has resulted in huge quads that will never go away, it has also given me a very fit heart, which I love. It makes getting back into a workout routine that much easier.

No comments: