Monday, March 22, 2010

Active Weekend & Low-Carb Pasta

My first bit of news is I did not get up and go to the gym Saturday morning. I was inadvertently* up until 1:30 on Friday night and had to be somewhere at 10 AM on Saturday morning, so a run in between waking up and picking up some people at 9:30 AM was not happening. However, Saturday was GORGEOUS and Jason and I went for a long walk in the woods near Foxboro, Massachusetts. It was lovely. We used a coupon and went out for dinner Saturday night, where I had a steak and veggies and a salad, with two small pieces of bread.

*Seriously lost track of time while watching TV with Jason and knitting a baby sweater.

Yesterday, I went for a swim before church. Generally I don't exercise on Sundays, but I need to get in a bit more time in the pool before the swim-a-thon on Saturday. Besides, swimming for me is relaxing. It's a nice way for me to decompress a bit.

So food and exercise was good this weekend, until the brownies last night. We have a friend who has an MA in Art History and who is also a fabulous cook. She gave a presentation last night on art at our church AND she made brownies for it. I grabbed a small square and took a bite. And my eyes rolled back in my head. And my knees went weak. Seriously, I usually don't get these kinds of reactions from food, but these brownies were probably the most divine things I've tasted.

Dangerous, yes?

I had 3. Well, 2 1/2 since Jason ate a big bite out of my third. Thankfully, she had cut them into smallish squares so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. But not ideal. The thing is, looking back, I'm ok with it. Despite my desire to eat healthy, I really don't want to have missed out on the most divine brownies ever.

I'm going to ask her for the recipe and then only cook them once a year when I know that I'll be giving them away to other people, but I can have one after they're done cooking.

Oh, also last night, Jason and I tried Dreamfields low-carb pasta. We were tired and bleh and didn't want to cook so I suggested spaghetti since I knew I had just gotten the Dreamfields. It tasted great! I don't know how they do it, but somehow they have formulated the pasta so only 5 grams of the 41 grams of carbs per serving actually get digested. Maybe it's all smoke and mirrors and not true at all, but I'm going to believe them for now. Jason and I both noticed it was less starchy than regular pasta.

Jason and I also both noticed that neither of us can handle two servings of pasta. My second bowl was actually half a bowl, and I only ate half of that, but even so, we were both uncomfortably stuffed afterward. I definitely should have stopped at one bowl. I'm actually pretty excited that Jason is noticing these things about himself and not liking how he feels when he stuffs himself. He's lost about 10 pounds and is just about to flip from 200 to the 190s. Pretty exciting!

Of course, if he keeps losing this fast and I keep NOT losing, I'm going to be very miffed when he's officially lighter than me.

1 comment:

Amazon Alanna said...

Kelly, I lose track of time when I'm knitting, too. Especially in front of the tv. Dangerous- but definitely a good time.

My advice for today (not that you asked...)Put the brownie thing behind you. Put the overstuffed pasta thing behind you. Don't ask Jason what he weighs...ever. Keep going down the road you're going down. You know it's all going to catch up with you in a positive fashion.