Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Goals


This week, Amy challenged us to ponder and write about our goals, both short-term and long-term.

Long-term Goals
  1. Lose 30 pounds (aka, the one I've been whining about the most). I honestly don't know right now if that will ever happen. Right now I would be pretty darn pleased to lose half that and keep it off. Regardless, this is still a goal. I suppose my reward for achieving this would be getting a new wardrobe. I would probably do that after losing 15 pounds though, because most of what I now own wouldn't fit that well.
  2. Run a 5K, for reals. Sunday night we had dinner with some friends, one of whom is a big-time runner. When he found out that not only is Jason jogging, but now I have joined in the Couch to 5K effort, he challenged us to actually do a 5K race at some point. My reward after completing this would be a new pair of nice running shoes.
Short-term Goals
I'm thinking of the short-term goals as a means to an end with regard to the long-term goals.
STGs related to LTG 1:
  1. Work out for one hour, at least 4 times a week, with a good mix of cardio and strength training. If I keep this up for one month, I get a massage (Yay!). After that I'll make it a month and a half, two months, and so on before I get my reward.
  2. Eliminate white sugar and white flour from my diet as much as possible. Part of this goal is recognizing that sometimes I can have treats and sometimes I will be places where healthy food is not available, but overall I want the majority of my days (say 6 out of 7 per week) to look like my clean eating day last week. If 6 out of 7 days do not include the "white foods" for a month, my reward will be a new book that I have been wanting (believe me, I have a long list of books I want).
STGs related to LTG 2:
  1. Keep up with the Couch to 5K program, running 3 days per week. After one month of consistency, my reward will be an actual workout outfit. Right now my workout clothes consist of a ratty T-shirt and ancient workout pants. Sexy!
  2. I suppose in order to actually do the 5K, I'll need to research local 5Ks. I don't need a reward for that, but I'll list it here so I'll remember.
I'm going to print this list and put it next to my mirror to remind myself of my goals every morning and to help me make good choices. I should also probably hang it dangling from a rope over my pillow so when I'm tempted to not get up to work out, I'll be reminded of how I really, really want those nice shiny rewards. Oh yes, and health and fitness too. Of course.

1 comment:

Fat[free]Me said...

Good idea to write out your long and short-term goals like that. It helps to have them, definitely, especially the short ones as those long ones can seem so unreachable at low moments.

And before you know it, that long-term will be in the bag!