Friday, April 24, 2009

I Heart Fins

So I've never done kicking drills wearing fins before. I've snorkled and scuba dived (dove?) and I know fins are great and make you go fast, but I've never used them in the pool. Lap fins are a lot smaller than snorkling fins, but it's the same principle.

The Y has fins available with the kickboards and pull buoys and I decided to try them out since I knew I was going to have a kicking-heavy workout today to spare my shoulder. I was kind of dreading my workout since kicking makes me bored. However, with the fins it's superfun and I go superfast. I alternated free, fly and back kicking, breaking up the sets with a 100 swim. Not only did I sail through the water, but I could feel my leg muscles working hard as they pushed against more surface resistance.

Usually after a swim, the skin over my triceps is bright red because those muscles have worked hard. Today, the skin over my outer upper thighs was bright red. Tone the upper thighs? Yes, please!

Also, I did my last 100 in 1:29!

Although there was a girl swimming in the lane next to me who was doing 100's in about 1:02. I have work to do! I actually like it when there are fast people swimming with me because it makes me work harder.

2000 yards today
400 swim warmup
4 x 250 kick, 100 swim. Alternate free, fly and back kick.
200 fly kick cooldown

Tomorrow I plan to swim for 90 minutes. I'm going to go heavy on the kicking again and see if I can get my shoulder back into good condition. It's not sore today since I only used it for 800 out of my 2000 yards.

No comments: