Monday, April 13, 2009

First Splurge Day: Easter

The last day of South Beach Phase 1 was on Saturday. I had already decided that since it was Easter on Sunday, not only would it be my first day off of Phase 1, but it would also be my monthly splurge day. We went to the house of some friends on Saturday for an Easter egg hunt party and I ended South Beach a bit early so I could eat a shortbread cookie with a Reese's peanut butter egg on top that another friend made because, yum! Then I ate candy and carbs Saturday night and Sunday.

However, I didn't eat as much as I thought I would. My body just didn't want as much. What I did eat, I savored.

The whole splurge day concept works well for me. Restrict myself completely and totally, and I feel sad and deprived. Letting myself have a little bad stuff here, and a little bad stuff there, always turns into a junk food free for all. However, when I know that maybe I can't have the junk today, but I'll get it eventually, I'm able to be patient. Friday night I was stuffing plastic eggs full of jelly beans, M&M's, Hershey's kisses and chocolate mini eggs for Saturday's Easter egg hunt. Jason was nibbling on some M&M's and jelly beans and commented that having all the candy around must be driving me crazy. I shrugged and said, not really. I'll be able to have some Sunday and I'm fine with that.

I have to give credit to my law school roommate, Jenn, for the splurge day idea. She ate mainly chicken breasts and broccoli every other day, and worked out regularly. But one day a month she got to eat whatever. For her, she always had to have a Wild Cherry Pepsi on her splurge day. For me, it's usually ice cream, though I didn't get any on Easter. There's always next month.

I woke up a bit late today so I did some pilates this morning and walked to work in lieu of a swim. I'll also walk home. And maybe to the mall to see what they have over there. We're getting a surprise tax refund and I'm going to let myself buy some new clothes because all my current clothes make me depressed. The rest of the money is going straight into savings.

1 comment:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I am so glad a splurge day works for you. I have never thought of doing that, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

I think I should consider having a splurge day for drinks with lots of calories (interesting "real" juices, iced coffee with ice cream and whipped cream, wine, and beer). Completely cutting these beverages out is too restrictive but having them too often really adds up.