Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Poolio

-.5" on my hips. That happened pretty recently. The challenge I'm doing on SparkPeople has me weighing in officially only once a month, but I keep sporadically pulling out the scale and measuring tape to see if there's any progress.

My weight is still bouncing around the same 3-4 pounds, which is just getting irritating. It's been doing that for about 3 months now. I went down during the detox, but then popped back up to the same old range.

Except for the fatty foods on Sunday, my eating has been pretty good. I've been diligent about logging and cycling my calories. I only hope that the decrease in my hips means I'm gaining the lean muscle that will help me burn fat more efficiently and eventually bust through this plateau. I've done almost everything trying to eat healthy and am wondering if I should try some official eating plan wherein I buy a book and pledge my allegiance to some author. I've been eyeing the South Beach Diet lately and its "8-12 pound weight loss in the first two weeks!" claims.

I swam today for the first time since I hurt my shoulder about a month ago. I did 80 laps and did about 1/3 kicking, 2/3 swimming, which is pretty heavy on the kicking for me. I wanted to give my shoulder a nice intro back into swimming and I think I succeeded. I stretched before and after and my shoulder isn't sore at all.

In other good news, they cleaned the pool! Yeah, I know, yuck. The water has been kind of murky for the past few months. I take a shower RIGHT after I swim, so I wasn't too concerned, and I figure the piles of chlorine they dump in there will kill anything. I think they cleaned it while my shoulder was healing and now the water is crystal clear. Much more pleasant.

I did HIIT elliptical on both Monday and yesterday and I honestly don't know if I can do it on consecutive days. During my last interval yesterday I swear the muscles in one of my legs started to fail. I have never felt that while doing cardio, only weight lifting. I guess that's a good sign that I'm working my muscles hard, and so far through stretching and Pilates I haven't hurt my calf again, so that's good. I think I'm doing it right.

I was supposed to go walking on my lunch hour with a friend, but she had to bow out because she's working straight through. I may just go without her, although I forgot my ipod clip, which is kind of a bummer since I also like to do hammer curls while I walk, but I want to listen to my ipod. Too many accessories!

5 comments:

Britni said...

Can you suggest a good place to keep track of what you eat? I need to do it but haven't come up with a good way to track them.

Kim said...

I'm glad to hear that your shoulder is feeling a bit better. It was smart to ease it back into the pool routine.

Thanks so much for the awesome Chicago suggestions!! I had really high hopes for seeing a lot of the city - but the more I'm learning about the weekend it sounds like we are going to be running around non-stop with wedding stuff. And while I'm sure that will be fun, I'm bummed at the thoughts of not having more time to do what I want. Guess we may have to make a non-wedding trip back just got get in all of the fun I want to have!!

Kelly said...

PP, I use SparkPeople at www.sparkpeople.com. When you register you have the option of them planning your meals for you or entering your own. They have a huge database of foods and it's really easy to enter your own. If you join, and you're comfortable doing so, can you say I referred you: Kellyim. That will get me points, which don't really mean anything, but it's always fun to collect points.

Kim, yes, you will definitely have to go back. Chicago is really a great city. The winters were a bit much for me, but the energy there is fantastic. Have fun!

Stephanie said...

How long does it take you to swim the 80 laps? I've picked up swimming and I love it! For some reason, I get bored when I run, but I am never bored when I swim.

Go on the walk anyways! :) You'll feel better having done it, friend & iPod or not. 'Sides, you can always sing to yourself. Hehe.

Kelly said...

Stephanie, depending on the workout the times vary. Wednesday it took 45 minutes to swim 80 laps.