Thursday, May 08, 2008

HIIT

Today I did High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) on the elliptical. Kicked. My. Butt.

It seems like everyone's been buzzing about HIIT lately and I've been wanting to give it a try. Basically you alternate sprints and rest periods for part or all of your workout. Here's what it looked like:

Minutes Activity
1-3 Warm Up
3-6 Regular pace
6-7 Sprint
7-10 Regular pace
10-11 Sprint
11-14 Regular pace
14-15 Sprint
15-18 Regular pace
18-19 Sprint
19-22 Regular pace
22-23 Sprint
23-26 Regular pace
26-27 Sprint
27-30 Regular pace
30-35 Cool down

I was originally planning on putting in a 7th sprint at minutes 30-31, but I just couldn't do it. I finished today completely wiped out. My regular pace was about 5 1/2 mph, while my sprints varied from 8 1/2 to 10 mph. I hit 10 on my last sprint.

My face was bright purple*, and I felt like I really accomplished something.


* My face is always a bright red to purple when I work out. Even if I just work out a little bit. Sometimes I feel like I should explain that really, I'm not dying, it's just what happens.

2 comments:

Future Me said...

Wow 10 mph! That is awesome! When I sprint I usually do 7 max. But I am slow and my normal pace is like 5. Maybe I should push it a little harder.

My face turns bright red, except it stays white around my mouth, when I work out really hard. I hate it. People always think I'm going to pass out or something and I'm like "no, I just have fair skin and you can see my blood rise to my face really easily." I made that up but I assume that's what's happening. Heh.

AnnekeS said...

Yeah, I turn bright red too.

And I tell people that I sweat when I swim too...