Monday, May 19, 2008

Fatty Fat Fat

I'm just going to chalk up yesterday as a lost cause and move on. We went up to Boston so Jason could sing at his choir's last service of the season. The church had a big picnic afterward so we stayed for that. I thought for sure there would be some fruits or vegetables in the spread, but there were none to be seen. Just fried chicken*, pasta salads, chips and desserts.

Then we went to a friend's Evensong and they had a reception after the service. Pate, fancy cheeses, smoked fish. They did have some cherries, but I'm not really a cherry fan**.

So basically I ate a big bunch of fatty fat fat foods yesterday. Really yummy fatty fat fat foods, but not healthy at all. I'm doing a challenge over at SparkPeople where we get points for fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fiber that we eat, as well as the cardio and strength training we do. I logged 9 points for Sunday. To give you some perspective, on Saturday I logged 48 points. One day last week I had 60. Yesterday was just bad. This has taught me to always have an apple in my purse.

Today I am back in the game. I did HIIT elliptical this morning with 6 intervals. I had planned on doing 5 intervals, but the song I was listening to hit a fast part just as I got to the next interval time. It inspired me to push it. I did 5 to 5 1/2 mph for my 3-minute regular pace segments, and then I got up to 10-12 mph during the 1-minute sprints. I like that the elliptical has a heart monitor because I see my pulse speed up during the sprints and then slow back down.

Then I missed my bus. I hate it when it comes early. So I figured I could either wait 22 minutes for the next one, or walk the 30 minutes to work. I walked. It's an amazingly beautiful day so I'm glad I did. Also, I think walking afterwards is proving to be a good way to stretch out my calf a bit more and make sure I don't injure it again. I stretch after I work out, but not for an extended period of time.

Tonight I'm going to go home and do a new Pilates DVD. Actually, it's an old DVD that I thought had disappeared in a move, but it turns out I still have it. I'm interested to see how I do because the last time I did it was when I bought it, about 4 years and 30 pounds ago. I really struggled to get through the routine and couldn't do everything. I have a feeling I'll do a teensy bit better this time around.


* I haven't had fried chicken in ages. So. Good.
** I know, I know. I'm un-American or something for not liking cherries. I mean, they're okay, but there are about 75 other fruits I would rather eat, whereas it seems like most people I know (including Jason) have little happy dancing fits when cherries go on sale this time of year.

1 comment:

Future Me said...

I like cherries, but I hate going through the trouble of eating them. They are so messy, and they stain too, so eating them in public can be a double whammy for a klutz like myself. If it's any consolation, I had a pretty terrible eating weekend too. We can get back on track together!