Saturday, April 05, 2008

The Fast

Today is fast day, meaning I alternate drinking 1 C. of "Miracle Juice" and 1 C. of water every hour. The Miracle Juice is a blend of 100% cranberry juice, water, orange juice and lemon juice, spiced with some ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon and sweetened with a little Stevia. It's okay, but a little tart for me to drink just for refreshment. Jason LOVES it so I made him his own pitcher this year.

I had to endure ruthless teasing from Jason and his friend Matt last night. They went to the website of the nutritionist who created the detox and I will admit, the website is super cheesy. The book is pretty peppy as well. But it is created by a nutritionist and I did some further looking into detoxes and discovered that most of the foods in this detox are generally accepted as detox foods.

Jason and Matt were all, "What are you detoxing from? You have toxic things in your system? Oh my gosh! Toxins!" all said with heavy sarcasm. They're not so much into anything smacking of new agey natural remedies. Scientists.

I am well aware that any benefits I experience may just be a result of the placebo effect. But I have been eating very well this past week and have felt cleansed of all the sugar and processed foods I've been eating for the past several months. I wanted to stop eating all the crap and it took something kind of extreme for me to get started.

This week I've lost 3.6 pounds and 2 inches, and this was all while working out and getting in about 1300-1400 calories a day. I figure I did something right to get my metabolism going.

I'll check in tomorrow to let you know the results of the fast day.

No comments: