Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Gym Blues

Seriously, I CANNOT wake up lately. Every night I go to bed and set my alarm to go to the gym. Then I wake up and realize I've been hitting snooze for an hour. THEN I fall back asleep and wake up with just barely enough time to catch the last reasonable bus to work.

It may have something to do with not getting to sleep until 11:30 or 12 at night. I'm realizing that I need at least 7 hours of sleep or I feel seriously deprived. When I go to sleep at 12, I don't really want to wake up at 5:45. Call me crazy. It's hard, though, when Jason doesn't get home from work until 8:30 or so and I want to spend a little time with him. I've tried to talk him into going into work a bit earlier (like before 10:30 or 11) and getting home a little earlier, but he will have none of it. I may just need to stick to my guns and figure I won't see very much of my husband during the week.

It may also have something to do with the nights getting cooler and the mornings getting darker and my bed feeling so cozy... But, no! I am not going to fall back into this not working out until January - maybe February - pattern.

I wish I had a gym buddy. Then I would know that I have to get up because someone will be there to meet me. My secretary walks with her mom in the mornings and it's a great motivator because she knows her mom is waiting for her to swing by and pick her up, so she's there, every morning. A girl from Jason's lab just joined my gym, but we have completely different schedules and she likes to work out in the evening. I just have too many things pop up and know that if I planned to work out in the evenings, I would get to the gym MAYBE twice a week. Maybe.

I know the answer, of course. I have to fight the tired one morning and then that night I'll want to go to bed by 10:30 or so and then I'll be able to wake up more easily the next morning and so on. It's that first early morning that's a bear, though. OK, I'm committing here to all of you. That morning is tomorrow! Thursday! It all starts coming together on Thursday.

3 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Getting up early is tough, especially in fall and winter. How about planning morning workouts but if they don't happen try for an evening workout? I know evening workouts may often not be an option, but at least it may work out sometimes when you didn't get in a workout in the morning... Also, have you tried workout DVDs at home in the morning? Maybe a short one? That may be more doable than getting to the gym...

Hang in there. You'll get your exercise groove back! :)

Kelly said...

Andrea, the good thing is when I haven't been working out, I've made a point of walking to work. I do have a few workout DVDs, I just feel kind of pitiful using those since I live, literally, about 200 yards from my gym. :) But you're right. On those cold frosty mornings staying inside and working out sounds a lot better than bundling up and walking to the gym.

So far this week I've been busy every night but Monday so no evening work outs.

Amazon Alanna said...

So, did you get to the gym this morning? Curious minds want to know!