Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Back in the Game

It's September and I'm feeling much better. I got my new hiking boots from LL Bean yesterday (20% off and they have wide widths) and I'm going to give hiking a try this weekend. I may not make it all the way up either mountain, but I can give it a shot. I'll be sure to bring a book in case I reach a point and have to wait for everyone else to go up and back.

The weather has been gorgeous this week and I confess that I'm so out of the looking for any opportunity to exercise mentality that it didn't even occur to me that I should be walking to work until a woman at work yesterday asked me if I had been walking. No, but I should be. I've been known to walk home from work in February when it's unbelievably cold and there are piles of snow in my way. I should really take advantage of this perfect weather.

In an effort to not gain 15 pounds this winter, I'm concentrating on keeping up with my healthy eating. I've gained 15 pounds the last 2 winters, but in fairness, I lost 15 pounds the last 2 summers. This summer, as I have written about obsessively, there has been no weight loss, so I really need to watch my indulgences this year.

Monday marked the beginning of another sugar purge and I was fighting migraines both Monday and Tuesday. At first, I thought it was just because my shoulder is sore from my unergonomic office set up. However, the office has not changed, my shoulder is still sore, but today I have no headache. My body really takes hold of sugar and runs with it. It's like crack for me.

On the camping trip we'll be eating S'mores because that's what you do on camping trips (I'm partial to dark chocolate with cinnamon graham crackers). So that will be my September splurge. (I wish there was some way to cart ice cream up to the mountains of Vermont...). Then in October we have my birthday, November is Thanksgiving, December is Christmas and then voila! we're back in January with limited temptations. I won't lie, I may have a treat now and then, particularly since we have friends who have been known to bestow delicious cookies on us around Christmas time. But my goal is to eat healthy every day of the month except one.

Maybe I should start reporting on my eating here. I log it on SparkPeople, but it's not like anyone's reviewing that on a regular basis. OK, so for the month of September, I'll write my food at the bottom of my posts. If you're not interested, just ignore it.

Tuesday, September 1
Breakfast: 1/4 vegetable frittata, strawberry fat-free Chobani yogurt.
Lunch: Turkey and Havarti on whole wheat with cucumbers, spinach and dijon mustard, 4 squash fritters.
Dinner: Baked skinless chicken (3 thighs, 1 drumstick), roasted broccoli and cauliflower, 1 cup Fiber One cereal with 2/3 cup milk.
(Usually I have a snack somewhere in there, but I got busy yesterday. Thus, my dinner was huge)

Wednesday, September 2
Breakfast: 1/4 vegetable frittata, strawberry fat-free Chobani yogurt.
Lunch: Small Au Bon Pain Southwest Vegetable Soup (low-fat, reduced sodium), ABP multigrain baguette.
Snack: Banana
Dinner: TBA - I have to be somewhere at 7:30 and am not sure when I'll be leaving work. I may just grab some leftover chicken and hope for the best.

1 comment:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I'm so glad you are finally feeling much better! And I hope you'll have a wonderful trip!

I like the idea of keeping track of your food on the blog. Good luck!