Monday, June 24, 2013

Challenge Part Deux

This week is the last week of the June Challenge (since, you know, it's the last week of June).  I did okay last week, but not great.  I wound up never doing the 4th weekly workout because I ran out of time.  Technically, I could have done it yesterday, but it was hot and we have no air conditioning on the 1st floor of our house and I just couldn't work up the enthusiasm for 5 rounds of burpees and a bunch of other things that make me tired and sweaty.

Starting yesterday, though, I'm taking part in another challenge.  A blogger I read got a Fitbit a little while ago and walked a lot and lost some weight and now she's decided to have a challenge where we all focus on walking a lot and maybe win some prizes.  The goal is to walk 10,000 steps per day, which is hard when most of my day is spent sitting on my bum in front of the computer.

I still plan to swim, and if the June Challenge lady decides to do a July Challenge, I'm going to do that too, but my daily goal from yesterday until August 3rd is to walk 10,000 steps per day.

We had to send before photos and our measurements and weight.  Given my lack of success with weight loss lately (read: over the last 2-3 years), I honestly don't know if I'll lose weight or see any improvement in my measurements.  But, like with the June Challenge, I like having a challenge to make me really focus on a particular fitness goal.

So, last night, when it finally cooled down a little, I went for a walk as the sun was setting.  I forgot that's also the buggy time of the day, so I have a few new mosquito bites, and I might have swallowed a couple of gnats, BUT I got 12,000 steps.

This morning, Rebecca and I swam and I think the fact that we only swam 1600 meters proves that we talk too much and that we need to get back in the habit of walking together because when we walk, we can talk.  We can't even social kick (kick and talk) at the crowded Brown pool.  Now that I'm trying to get 10,000 steps per day, I'm going to have to rope her into going on some walks with me.

After work, I'm going to go to the gym and walk on the treadmill for awhile, since it's freaking hot again today.  To be more precise, it's 92 with a 97 heat index.  For this girl who grew up in Tucson, that means I step outside and immediately start sweating.  Pretty!

No comments: