Friday, April 16, 2010

Weekend Workouts

Do you work out on the weekend?

I know a lot of people take weekends off, but I'm discovering that Saturday and Sunday mornings may be my absolute best guaranteed times to work out.

First of all, I can sleep in a bit more on Saturdays and Sundays. Working out at 7 or 8 AM is WAY different than working out at 6 AM. It's so easy for me to turn off the alarm on the weekday mornings and let myself sleep through my allotted workout time. Sometimes I turn off the alarm in my sleep (like, ahem, this morning). It's just hard to get to bed before 11 or 11:30, what with busy days at work, cooking dinner, trying to keep some semblance of a handle on cleaning and wanting to spend at least a couple of hours hanging out with Jason.

Because I get some extra sleep on the weekend mornings, I find my workouts are more effective and I can go longer and harder. I've never had a problem with working out on Saturdays, but have always shied away from Sundays because of the whole religious thing. Suffice it to say, in my religion, we're taught to "keep the Sabbath day holy." What "holy" means is generally left up to personal interpretation, though some people have VERY SOLID IDEAS on what that means. But I don't think working out is necessarily anti-holy.

Enter the justifications:
1) We're supposed to take care of our bodies (the body is a temple, etc). Exercising makes my body healthy.
2) Exercising ultimately puts me in a good mood, helps me stay focused on the things I need to do and is a stress-reducing and relaxing start to my day.
3) I find exercising on Sunday mornings peaceful because there is seriously no one else out at that time of the morning. It's me and maybe 2 other people at the gym. No one is on the street.

I suppose I don't have any more justifications. I know some people who would probably argue with me, and others who are thinking, "I seriously don't get what the big deal is." But I think I'll keep working out on Sunday mornings because it makes me feel good and it is really a good time for me to get it done.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I have found it very helpful to workout on Saturday mornings. I have a goal of doing the treadmill 5 days a week and usually save one of the days for Saturday.
I like working out on Saturdays because exercising helps keep my eating in check. If I start the day out with exercise my day always goes better. Weekends are a challenge as far as eating goes for a lot of people so I think exercise is a good way to go.
It sounds like you have found what works for you!

Unknown said...

I'm definitely in favor of working out on Saturdays. Those tend to be my longest and most intense workouts. I also see nothing wrong with workouts on Sunday, either. (Of course, I also watch football and baseball and other similar things that some people think should be off-limits on Sundays.) A nice run or bike ride on a Sunday afternoon or a couple innings of a Red Sox game while on the elliptical machine are perfectly nice Sunday activities for me. Or just put in your headphones and listen to general conference talks!