Friday, April 02, 2010

Sensitivity

As I mentioned before, last weekend we went hiking. We woke up, ate breakfast, then hit the road down to Connecticut. An hour and a half later, we made a pit stop and I realized I was STARVING. I thought the rest stop would have a little store and I could buy some nuts or something like that, but the only thing selling food at this particular stop was McDonald's.

(Have you ever noticed that there's ALWAYS a McDonald's at rest stops. They are brilliant with the total market saturation.)

So I got some chicken selects, got Jason a burger and got us some fries to share. Yeah, I could have gotten a salad, but (a) they didn't have the salad I like (Mandarin Chicken), and (b) we were almost there and needed to eat fast.

Here's the thing: it was awful! As I was eating the chicken selects, I could feel the grease coating the inside of my mouth and it felt disgusting. I ate maybe 7 or 8 fries, before I declared Jason could have the rest. I asked him if he thought they tasted weird and he said, "They just taste like fries." Apparently, McDonald's fries don't do it for me anymore.

I find this kind of funny since as a part of low carb, I have upped my intake of saturated fat. I use butter pretty much every day and don't sweat eating the dark meat (which I prefer) rather than the white meat. The natural fats I am absolutely fine with. It's whatever McDonald's uses (soybean oil?) that my body is revolting against.

1 comment:

Amazon Alanna said...

Maybe it wasn't the McDonald's grease but the other garbage they stick in there. McDonald is the King of chemical additives.