Friday, April 09, 2010

Pasta and Sprouts

First off, Rhode Island, can we stop with the rain already? I had a morning meeting in Boston today so no work out in the morning. I thought maybe I could go swimming tonight, but then I realized I forgot to put my house keys back on my key ring last night after my walk. So I stopped at Jason's work to get his keys and then walked the rest of the way home. The 10 minute walk took me about 20 minutes as I fought the wind and rain. Umbrellas are only so useful when it's windy. By the time I got home, my shoes and skirt were soaked through. All I wanted to do was to change into my pajamas. So I did.

Then I proceeded to make a fabulous dinner for us, in my humble opinion.

First, I browned some ground beef with a chopped onion and several minced garlic cloves.
Then I added two jars of my canned tomatoes from the end of last summer.
Finally, I threw in some chopped baby bella mushrooms, some dried thyme and a splash of red cooking wine. I then let the sauce reduce down to get rid of most of the liquid.
I put the sauce over Dreamfields low carb pasta (I can't tell you how thrilled I am with the low carb pasta!) and sprinkled parmesan cheese on top.

In the meantime, I made what is now my second favorite vegetable recipes: Shredded & Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Almonds & Parmesan.
I've been looking for a great brussels sprouts recipe, and I found it. Fabulous! Seriously, Kalyn's Kitchen is the best source for great vegetable recipes. Jason and I devoured the sprouts and I'm looking forward to making them again.

No comments: