Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Swimming

I'm getting antsy to get back in the pool. Spring Fever has taken hold of me and I want warmth and sun and lighter-colored bed linens. Yes, I have seasonal bed linens. Don't mock.

I wanted to get my calves a little smaller, though. As I have lamented before, I have never been able to wear boots, even extended shaft boots, because my calves are perpetually pumped. I've been swimming since I was 6 and consequently have big calf muscles. However, with the elliptical workouts I've been doing for the past couple of months, my calves have magically shrunk. Actually my legs in general have gotten smaller, which is awesome since my legs have always been big and muscular (with a layer of fat on top for the past several years, but I'm not talking about that).

So instead of 18 inch calves that won't budge, I now have almost-17 inch calves. Amazing! It makes me start wondering if the extended shaft boots will fit now.

My thought was that before I started swimming again, I would try to elliptical away another inch or so and get myself definitely fitting into boots. Then when I start swimming, my calves may bulk up some again, but they probably won't get back to 18 inches. Right? Well, it's a theory anyway.

However, I don't know how much longer I can hold out against the siren call of the pool. There's just something in me that loves the water and any hint of warmth after a cold New England winter (warmth like we had last week) makes me want to hop back in the pool.

No comments: