Monday, March 17, 2008

Sigh

I've been working out regularly for a few weeks now, keeping track of what I'm eating, drinking lots of water and I haven't had a diet soda (or any soda) in 2 weeks. I stepped on the scale this morning and I've gained three pounds.

OK, so I'm trying to be positive here and remember a few things. First, I feel more toned. My arms look better and my legs feel stronger. Second, muscle weighs more than fat. In the past when I have started getting healthy I've always experienced weight gain at first, which I chalk up to the whole muscle thing. I'm gaining muscle and the fat hasn't quite started coming off yet, so I gain. I would so fail on The Biggest Loser. I would be the first person voted off.

It's still frustrating, though. It makes it harder to talk myself into going to the gym when I just don't feel like the whole thing is working.

There's also the exercise element. The only time I've seriously lost weight in the past (ie, 20 pounds in 2001/2002, 20 pounds in 2005, and 22 pounds in 2007) is when I've been swimming. Even though I work my butt off on the elliptical, I usually don't lose a lot of weight. The elliptical might take off a pound or two, and it definitely gets me more toned, but generally I maintain my weight. Swimming seems to be the thing that really gets my metabolism going.

Does that make any sense, or am I just making this up? Are there certain exercises that resonate with individuals' bodies more than others?

1 comment:

Amazon Alanna said...

I think that each body is more efficient at different exercises...absolutely.

Also remember that the first few weeks of a new exercise routine, especially anything with weights, that your body will retain water for a while to help repair your muscles. It'll become more efficient soon and won't carry the extra water. You'll probably have a big loss coming soon if you keep it up.