Monday, January 26, 2009

Seriously Lacking Motivation

Last night I was reading Such A Pretty Fat* and felt totally inspired to wake up this morning and go to the gym. Yes, I was! I had my workout clothes laid out and my work bag packed so that I could maximize sleeping, go to the gym and still make it to work on time.

Only then the alarm went off at 6 and I rolled over for a couple more minutes only I forgot to reset the alarm and then I woke up at 7. Sigh.

I need some motivation. I wish I had a workout buddy because then I would know that she would show up at the gym and I wouldn't be there and I would be wracked with guilt. I'm trying to find that inner motivation that I had last year, but I think it likes warmer weather and is dormant in the winter.

I can say I'm going to go to the gym and plan and prepare, but until I work up the wherewithal to pull my bum out of bed in the early morning, nothing is going to change. I did walk to work in 18 degree weather so that's something.

* Jason asked me last night why I only read fat girl losing weight books lately. I tried to explain to him it's because that's where my head is right now. I feel pretty good, honestly, but I'm in this eternal struggle to lose 20-25 more pounds. I know what I need to do, and reading about other people's successes and failures is inspiring and makes me feel like I'm not in this alone. Maybe it would help if I had more chubby girlfriends who were also trying to lose weight. Must work on finding some of those.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I will be your chubby friend but unfortunately am not a great workout partner right now - maybe in June?

Amazon Alanna said...

I seriously need motivation, too! I would like to lose about 50 pounds...some of it baby fat, some of it is just plain fat.

If you want to figure out some way to be email workout partners, I'm game.

author said...

I'll be your chubby girlfriend trying to lose weight with you, but I don't think I'll be able to meet you at the gym in the morning. I just wish I could go on - and stay on - SB with you. Giving up carbs? That takes real motivation.

Kelly said...

Sara, you have the perfect excuse to eat whatever right now! I know, I know, that's not how it works. But how lovely to be able to snootily say, "I'm eating for two." :) Well, in June we'll have to regroup and see if we can be workout buddies. By June I should be raring to go (I'm always much more inspired in the summer to exercise. Probably because I'm wearing fewer pieces of clothing on a regular basis.)

Alanna, do you want to do an email check-in? Maybe just having that accountability will help. Email me at frazzled.kelly at gmail.com and we'll discuss!

Nicole, it's hard to get past those first few days, but I seriously felt fantastic after that. I've cut down the refined carbs now after eating cheesecake last weekend and am just having a piece or two of whole wheat bread from my bread machine every day. One of the reasons I like SB over, say, Atkins, is I think it's a realistic way to live. The first 2 weeks are not, but after that it's pretty reasonable.