Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Can I Get A "Woot Woot"?!

I did it! I went to the gym this morning and I swam. Granted, I got there about 20 minutes later than I had planned and could only swim for a half hour, but I did it. It's the first time I've been to the gym since - um - I don't really know. November?

I am embarrassingly out of shape. Sigh.

In my absence, the Y decided to refurbish the locker rooms that go straight to the pool. So we now have to use the rec center locker rooms (which until this morning I didn't know existed), which are down the stairs and around the corner from the lobby and the pool. Which means instead of being able to rinse off (per RI Department of Health regulation) and walk right into the pool area via a door from the locker room showers, we have to gather up all our swimming paraphernalia and walk all the way back up the stairs, past the lobby and through another entrance to the pool altogether.

So now, I just put my coat and bag in the locker, change into flip flops, and walk to the pool, fully clothed and carrying my towel, goggles and swim cap. The Department of Health will just have to deal because, while I've gotten over my whole "appearing at the pool in a swimsuit" issues, I have not quite made it to the place where I feel comfortable walking through the Y and past the lobby in only my swimsuit.

While I was gathering my things together a wet woman in a swimsuit walked into the locker room and I asked her how long the locker rooms had been under construction. She said, "Oh, about 4 weeks. 4 weeks of 12, they say." I said, "And I guess I just gave away how long it's been since I've made it to the gym."

No comments: