Friday, May 06, 2011

New Tricks

Today is Day 12 of my 30-Day Fitness Challenge and I haven't missed a day yet! I'm determined to see this challenge through all 30 days, no matter what busy-ness or messed up schedules come my way.

For instance, I was supposed to wake up and go for a swim this morning. I printed out my workout and had everything ready to go, only I turned off my alarm in my sleep and woke up a half hour too late. I'm planning a lunch walk now (and it's gorgeous outside!), but am a little concerned that the wind will be flipping up my skirt. It is always so windy in Providence and I like flippy skirts. Bad combination.

I mentioned before how our Masters coach told me my elbows weren't high enough (well, me and my entire lane of 5 people). So I've been making a concerted effort to get my elbows high and to modify my stroke. I even went and watched some YouTube videos of some of my favorite Olympic swimmers and sure enough, they have the pointy elbows in freestyle.

So far I've noticed that I'm going the same speed (or faster), but not getting quite so tired. Part of that could be because I'm swimming more and getting into better shape, but I think part of it is not working so hard during my stroke recovery. It still feels kind of awkward, but is getting a little more natural. So exciting to learn something new after 28 years of swimming!

I'm also turning into a complete swimming nerd (Even more than I was before. I've only met one other person who likes watching Olympic swimming as much as I do and she's a swimmer too). A lady in my SparkPeople swimmers group linked to an article at active.com, and now I'm trying not to waste too much time clicking through all of the interesting swimming articles.

No comments: