Monday, April 08, 2013

Sleepy

I've decided to blame everything that is wrong with me over the next few months on SHINGLES.

The rash is gone and the pain is gone.  All told, I think I had a pretty mild case.  But the fatigue.  Oh, the fatigue!

I honestly don't know if the fatigue is related to the shingles or not, but I'm going to say it is, rather than call myself lazy.  I managed to get in a good 2500 yard swim on Saturday morning.  My swimming buddy and I decided to do a 20-minute benchmark swim to see where we are.  We finished 1100 yards in 20 minutes, which is about on pace for us to swim a mile in a half hour.  We can now confidently say that we could swim a mile right this second if we had to.  Yeah, we were tired at the end of that 1100 yards, but we weren't dying.

So that's good news for St. John.  Even if we only swim once a week for the remaining 7 weeks until the swim, I know we can definitely do a mile.

Starting Saturday afternoon, I started having this off and on headache, accompanied by off and on extreme fatigue.  One minute I would be fine, and the next I would want nothing more than to curl up in a corner and go to sleep.  When we got home from Evensong yesterday afternoon, I immediately got in my pjs and into bed.  Only to get up 10 minutes later, feeling fine, and ready to finish making dinner.

Weird.

This morning my alarm went off to go swim and while I was trying to convince myself to get up, my swimming buddy texted me that she was sick and wouldn't be swimming this morning. Yeah, I could have gotten up.  Instead I breathed a sigh of relief and slept for 2 more hours.  This is after I went to bed last night about an hour earlier than usual.

Today has been a struggle against the sleepiness.  It has not been helped by the fact that it's almost 80 degrees in my office (building management turns on the AC on May 15, never, ever before.  At least it's taken this long to get warm outside.)  What I would really like to do is go home, break out the hammock in the backyard, and take a nap.  Instead, I work.  And I have a meeting tonight.  Fingers crossed I don't nod off while the client is talking.

Like I said, I have no idea if this is shingles-related, but I would really like whatever is is to stop now and to be able to get back to a normal workout, work and sleep schedule where I don't need 10 hours of sleep just to barely crawl out of bed and sit drowsily at my desk all day.

No comments: