Tuesday, August 18, 2009

So, I Guess I Really Am Sick

I don't really like going to the doctor and figure it's generally an exercise in futility unless, say, a bone is broken. Usually I get a cold and then it goes away and I'm fine all by myself.

Well, I've now been coughing for 2 weeks. Last night I had a really hard time getting to and staying asleep. I also discovered that the only way to not cough all night was to sleep on my left side. If I lay on my back or on my right side, the coughing started up like crazy.

So I called the doctor this morning. I went in and found out I had a temperature. Only 99.2, but considering my normal temperature is around 96.5, that's fairly substantial. The funny thing is, I didn't have a temperature a week ago, so it's like this thing has actually gotten worse. She diagnosed an upper respiratory infection/bronchitis and prescribed an antibiotic and some cough medicine with a narcotic that's supposed to help me sleep tonight. And any other night in the future with whatever's left over, I wager.

On the upside, my blood pressure is 110 over 74. Pleased about that.

Hopefully this cough will finally go away soon now that I'm actually treating it.

I also took the opportunity to discuss the whole no weight loss despite 4-5 months of eating well and working out thing with her and I'm going to get blood drawn for thyroid and other tests on Friday morning. It's a fasting blood draw so I can pretty much guarantee I will be passing out. Getting blood drawn doesn't make me squeamish, but I always nearly pass out. Last time I had blood drawn, I had eaten a hearty oatmeal and fruit breakfast and still, bam! Tunnel vision and clammy skin. Here's hoping I manage not to completely lose it on Friday.

1 comment:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I'm glad you finally went to the doctor and got some medicine. Take good care of yourself!

Good luck on Friday! :)