Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Day 4 - How It's Going

It's going pretty okay actually.  Not perfect.  Yesterday I had a meeting after work that happens every month and sometimes lasts until past 9 PM and is usually very, very dull.  So I ordered a Diet Coke as soon as I got there.  I also ate some mashed potatoes and berries because that's what we were served (and chicken and broccoli.  I did not eat the roll.  Victory!).

My sugar/grain/caffeine withdrawal has not been as extreme as in the past.  I chalk that up to me eating pretty healthy during the fall.  It's amazing how thinking there's another person depending on the nutrients in your body makes you clean up your dietary act pretty quickly.  As of the end of November, though, all bets were off and I descended into a caffeine and sugar-fueled spree.  Still, having only a month to detox from versus several months or a year has made this pretty painless.  I had a brief headache Saturday evening and just wanted to fall asleep by about 6 PM, and I've felt pretty drowsy for the past 3 days, but today I've reached the magical Day 4.

Day 4 is always my day for feeling great when I do one of these detoxes.

Exercise is not going so well.  The past 2 nights I have diligently prepared my bag so that I could get ready for work at the gym, laid out my workout clothes so I could grab them in the dark, and set everything I would need for the day by the front door, ready to go.  And the past 2 mornings I haven't made it to the gym.  Yesterday, I woke up at 4 AM, stayed awake for an hour and a half, and then fell back to sleep just in time for my 5:45 alarm to go off.  Then I realized it was pouring rain outside.  Never mind, it's only Monday.  I still have 5 more days in this week.

This morning I woke up just before my alarm and it was 9 degrees out, with a wind chill of -5.  I could hear the wind whistling around the house.  It was still pitch black out.  Yeah, no.  I still have 4 more days in this week.

When I woke up for real I remembered I have an early meeting in Boston on Friday, so really only 3 days left in the week.  Still, I can walk the mile from the train station to the office in Boston, right?  That will count for something.

So I'm basically to the point where tomorrow it is mandatory that I go to the gym.  I think it's supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow morning (though still pitch black), which will help a little.

No comments: