Friday, January 24, 2014

Day 21 - Reasons to Swim

This is Day 21, right?  I confess, I haven't been as stringent as I might have hoped with my diet so I can't really call this a Whole30, if we're being technical. However, it's been a Whole Heck of A Lot Better Than the Preceding 30 Days.  I know for a fact that my torso circumference has decreased by an inch and a half in the last 21 days, so that's something.  I'm not officially weighing and measuring until the end of the month, but I did a little sneak peek the other day and I'm relatively pleased.  The tape measure is moving in the right direction.

Anyway, swimming.  February is the benchmark I have set for getting back in the pool.  And I have two good reasons.

First of all, I bought this:

(FYI, it's still on sale at Swim Outlet for half price.)

In one of those moments when the internet ad people prove they know me well, this beauty popped up in my sidebar last week.  In these colors.  Not only do the ads know what I like to do, but they know what colors will hook me.  It's a little unsettling.

Right now I'm taking two bags to the gym when I swim: my gym bag, which holds a towel and all my swimming gear, and my other bag, which holds toiletries and clothes and all the stuff I need to get ready for work.  According to the reviews I read, this Speedo backpack is perfect for holding ALL the things.  Women just like me all over the country are taking this bag to the pool and then getting ready for work.  It has a separate pocket for wet things, which is key, since my Y is still in the dark ages and doesn't have a suit spinner. 

I'm excited to use my awesome new backpack!

Second, we're doing the St. John swim again!

!!!

Right this second it's 17 degrees outside with a windchill of 4.  To say I've been daydreaming about this trip even though it's not for 4 months is an understatement

I'm not sure if we're going to do the relay again or if we're going to do the intermediate, 2.25 mile swim.  The one thing I do know is that this year we're using fins.  It's not as hardcore, but hardcore is overrated (and it's still a little hardcore).  I love swimming with fins!  It's like flying through the water.

The point is, we need to train, and we need to start soon.  I haven't been to the pool since October and my swimming muscles are definitely out of shape.  First Monday of February, I'm back in the pool!

No comments: