Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Day 12 - Bookish

I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts on my lunch walk today* and it was all about resolutions and the panelists' success, or lack thereof (mainly lack thereof), with their 2013 resolutions.  It occurred to me that for years my resolutions have been all about health and fitness, which is fine, but maybe I should be resolving to do something to better myself in a more cerebral way.

So here's my second resolution of 2014: I resolve to read one book per month.

If my grandma just read that she is shocked and appalled.  Yes, I am still the same person who used to come visit her for a few weeks every summer with a bag that weighed 100 pounds because it was filled with all the books I would read on vacation.  And I usually bought a couple more while I was there.

For some reason, I have fallen out of the habit of reading books.  I still buy books and start many, but I'm not sticking to them.  Except for Unbroken.  That was a page-turner that I could not put down.

I have a stack of books on my shelves to get through, and a couple of new books on my Kindle that are unread.  I'm in the middle of two books right now and I'm really enjoying them both, but I'm not taking the time to actually finish them.  So right off the bat, I resolve to finish at least one of them by January 31.  Even if I just read a couple of pages a night before I drift off to sleep, books will be read!

That will mean that my Nexus tablet will be turned off long before I turn off my bedside lamp.  No more last-minute Facebook discussions and Scramble games.  I will be improving my brain!



* Did you notice how I slipped that in?  The lunch walks are back!

No comments: