Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Temptations

It's very interesting to see how often I am confronted with temptations to stray from my healthy path (that I've been on for 2 whole days and don't want to blow. Again). I had to go to a dinner meeting for work last night. I figured that I wouldn't eat much while I was there and would wait to have dinner until I got home, but when I realized the meeting was going to stretch out to a couple of hours, I knew I had to eat at least some of the dinner. I passed on the bread basket, the giant pile of rice on my dinner plate, and the berry shortcake dessert. I did eat a salad, a salmon filet, and wilted spinach*.

I actually made a grab for the bread initially without even thinking. I believe that's what they call mindless eating.

It's tough to keep up a healthy eating plan when life interferes. When I have strict control over all of my meals and snacks and can take the time to cook, it's easy to stay on the right path. Socializing or working late or any other little glitch in the plan can really mess up the eating goals.

This time last week I would have eaten all of those high-carb, sugary dishes with relish. I have determined that I need a little restriction with regard to my eating or I just go hog wild. Jason even commented recently on my lack of self-control, and you know it's bad if he notices. Usually I'm just his partner in crime with regard to eating tasty treats, but he knows I'm happier when I'm exercising, eating well, and not gaining weight. And in order for me to do that, I have to impose restrictions on myself. Otherwise I can TOTALLY justify eating ice cream every day.

*Although I have issues with cooked spinach (penicillin allergy plus creamed spinach equals trauma for the REST OF YOUR LIFE). There is a fine line between wilted and cooked. Some of that spinach stayed on the plate.

1 comment:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I can so relate! When everything is "normal" in my life, eating healthy and working out is doable. But as soon as things don't go as planned (which happens A LOT with a teenager, a toddler, work, etc.), I am in danger of losing control...

Focusing on living healthy really helps. If I make a conscious decision to order/eat healthy BEFORE I go out to eat, I usually do. Otherwise, I start with the bread, finish my entree, and eat dessert... The same goes for planning workouts, taking some time for myself, etc. I guess the key is be mindful of living a healthier and happier life.