Friday, June 13, 2008

With Friends Like These...

You know how there are all those articles about how the people you hang out with influence things like how much you exercise, what you eat, even how much you weigh? If your friends like to work out, they're a good influence on you and you will probably all encourage each other to work out. And vice versa. I am discovering that Jason is a BAD influence on me.

I was so virtuous last week while he was gone. I met most, if not all, of my food goals every day AND worked out every day. Every day. I felt great.

This week has been, shall we say, not so good. I swam Monday morning and Jason got back Monday afternoon. I didn't make it to the gym either Tuesday or Thursday because of staying up late with Jason the night owl who thinks going to bed at 3 is normal and thinks I'm a pansy when my eyes start drooping at 11. OK, I like staying up late too, but I just can't if I'm going to get to the gym by 6:30 the next morning and get through my day.

Then there is the eating. I've already had dinner out 3 times this week, twice at this cheapo pan-Asian place that is so good. I try to get the healthiest things they have, which are summer rolls (rice paper, shrimp and veggies) and sesame tofu (bad sauce, but comes with a big pile of broccoli that is not drowned in sauce at all and that I always eat FIRST and then I often don't finish the tofu). Then last night I picked up Jason from work and we were both so starving* that we just went to East Side Pockets and I got a gyro. The bread they use isn't as bad as usual gyro pita bread, since it's not as thick and fatty, but still. It was so good. And I wanted another one when I finished.

Part of it is Jason, since I'm very capable of resisting take-out when he's not whispering in my ear about how easy and cheap it is. Part of it is my crazy schedule and how darn tired I am. Take yesterday (gyro night). I went to my Bar prep class for 3 1/2 hours, worked for 5 hours and then picked up Jason at around 7, knowing that I still had about 3 hours of studying left to do. I couldn't take the idea of going home and cooking and THEN studying.

So instead of hitting the 170's like I was hoping to do this week, I'm holding steady somewhere between 181 and 182, which is frustrating. I'm so close to crossing into this unknown territory and I just can't seem to do it.

I had a discussion last night with Jason about his habits and about how I need his help if I'm going to keep succeeding. I'm trying to encourage him to be healthier too. My first goal for him was to eat one piece of fresh fruit every day from Wednesday on this week. He missed Wednesday. Last night I forcibly put an apple in his hand. This morning I made him a fruit smoothie, so I know he got some fruit first thing. He tells me next week he's going to start jogging. We'll see. I've heard it before.

The thing is, no matter how much I want him to be healthy, he has to want it. I didn't get back to the gym and modify my eating until I dedicated myself to being healthy, and I know I can't force him to change.

It would just be so much easier for me to stick to my well-laid plans** if he was on board.


* Seriously. I walked up the hill to get to my car and couldn't get a deep breath in because my stomach hurt so bad from hunger it hurt to breathe in. Combination of a low-calorie day and not planning my snacks very well.
** Which last night consisted of salmon and broccoli for dinner with a popcorn snack. Healthy healthy healthy.

No comments: