Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Why Pilates is Awesome

Or whatever it is that my DVD is. It's called a Pilates DVD, but Pilates purists on Amazon have said it's really a combo of Yoga, Pilates and calisthenics. Whatever. I like it.

Saturday I swam 120 laps. It's the first time I've done that in awhile. Guess what? My left shoulder was hurting when I got home. Last time it was my right shoulder, and then let's not forget how I hurt my calf. Getting old sucks. I just can't do the things I could do a few years ago. I stretch religiously before and after workouts now (which I never used to do) and I still get hurt. My body doesn't bounce back as easily anymore.

I'm only 31!

Anyway, Sunday morning I woke up way before I needed to and so I decided to do a half hour of Pilates to start my day. I didn't do the arm exercises because I wanted to give my shoulder a rest, but I did thighs, bum and this 10-minute stretching segment at the end. I LOVE the stretching. It feels so, SO good, especially after a hard workout.

When I got up from the last stretch I realized my shoulder pain was gone. Monday morning I swam 80 laps and had no pain at all. My shoulder is still fine.

Fabulous!

No comments: