Thursday, February 09, 2012

Muscles

I've always thought, "My legs are strong! I am a fast kicker! My legs are STRONG!"

You know what strength training has taught me? My legs are WEAK. We do all these isometric exercises where you have to, say, lay on your back, thrust your hips in the air and balance the bulk of your weight on one leg, while doing many varieties of leg lifts with the other leg, and I just cannot do it. I have to keep stopping and readjusting because apparently I now weigh too much for one leg to support me. Lame.

A couple of years ago I could do these things, but I think neglecting any meaningful strength training since then has made me the weakling I am today. My goal is to complete all the leg exercises in my strength training class without stopping. Which is good motivation to keep going.

On the bright side, it turns out my abs are wicked strong. I can do all the ab exercises, no problem. Yay, swimming!

No comments: