Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Recipe: Coconut-Crusted Swai

Swai is my new white fish of choice.  I think it tastes MUCH better than tilapia (which I always think tastes a bit like dirt), and it's a little firmer than tilapia.  Also, it's cheap, when it's actually at the store.  I always stock up because it seems like everyone else who shops at my grocery store has discovered swai too and the shelves are empty fairly often.

I thawed some swai for dinner tonight and came up with this recipe on my way home from work.  It's my new favorite.  Here's the recipe, though some of the measurements are estimates since I eyeballed it, so use your own judgment.

Coconut-Crusted Swai
3 swai filets (or your favorite thin white fish, 4-5 oz each)
2-3 T. coconut oil
1/3 C. coconut flour (or regular flour if you're not worried about gluten)
1 egg
1/4 C. whole milk
2/3 C. shredded, unsweetened coconut
1 T. seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash Caribbean Citrus, which goes great with the coconut.  Regular salt and pepper would work too.)

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.

Put flour in medium-sized bowl.  Whisk together egg and milk in a second bowl.  Mix coconut and seasoning together on a plate.

After oil is heated, dredge swai filets in flour, then egg and milk, then coconut and seasoning, and place in hot oil.  Cook 3-5 minutes on each side, until browned.  remove from pan to a plate with a paper towel on it (to absorb excess oil).  Enjoy!


No comments: