Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Paleo and Fitness 30 Day Challenge: Day 1

February 1, Day 1

So I've already failed the "Paleo" part. Well, not "failed" exactly, just not completed 100%. Let me explain.

My goal with Paleo is to eat whole foods and remove grains and sugar, right? Right. However, I had some leftover Dreamfields pasta (5 net carbs per serving and it tastes good!) and homemade tomato sauce sitting in the fridge that I meant to eat yesterday. I know for a fact that Jason won't eat it (he's not so much about the leftovers unless I force them on him), and I didn't want it to go to waste. So I brought it for part of my lunch.

Today I've had:
4 scrambled eggs in coconut oil (I heart coconut oil, but I may actually like my eggs better cooked in butter)
Big romaine salad with tuna and balsamic vinaigrette
Pasta with tomato sauce and parmesan

At home, simmering away in the crock pot, is Azorean Beef Stew. The spices in this stew are amazing, and since it's blizzarding outside, this will be the perfect welcome home for me this evening.

I also made a ham on Sunday and might have some ham later. Who can say? All told, SparkPeople tells me I'm at about 34 carbs for the day, though I may have some almonds later too, bringing me up to 40. Pretty great, and the majority of my food has been whole, healthy fare.

As for fitness, there will be no gym and no walking due to today's snow and tomorrow's predicted ice storm (doesn't that sound fun?). I think it's time for me to turn away from the computer mah jong while we're watching TV in the evenings and do some improvised workouts. I have a yoga mat and dumbbells for a reason.

To give myself even more inspiration, I just started reading Gary Taubes's Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It. Gary Taubes is my nutrition hero. (I was going to say "nutrition boyfriend", but Jason is already a little jealous of my adoration of Gary, so I'll just leave it at "hero".)

No comments: