Friday, November 07, 2008

Swim Through the Pain

I woke up with a headache this morning. I know exactly why. I've been busy at work, working longer hours, and I tend to hold all my tension in my right shoulder. This tension turns to aching and crawls up my neck periodically and gives me a headache. Also, my workstation is not ergonomically correct in the slightest. We've talked about fixing that, but so far it's only been talk. (Personally, I would really like to get a Walkstation)

So anyway my normal "I don't want to get out of bed" banter in my mind when my alarm went off was coupled with another voice whining, "But I have a headache!" However, the logical part of my brain realized that since the headache is obviously due to tension, swimming might actually loosen up my back and shoulders and make my head feel better. That part of my brain won and I crawled out of bed, ate my pre-workout string cheese, and went to the gym.

And it did help. My head still ached a little when I left for work this morning, but nothing like it did before I went swimming. I did a lot of pulling to work my upper body muscles and I feel better. Of course, now that I'm at work I'm tightening up again. I really wish my husband gave massages. That is one area where he is sorely lacking. Apparently some of the repetitive things he does working in the lab make his thumbs hurt and whenever he tries to massage my shoulder, he winds up with aching hands. Oh well.

No comments: