Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Switchin' It Up

So we've had two mornings of frosty chilly weather and that has equaled two mornings of not being able to get myself out of bed because I'm tucked in between a husband and a cat all under a down comforter. The 5:45 AM alarm stands no chance.

Even though the pool is not open for lap swimming when it would be most convenient for me to go in the evenings, I think if there's any chance that workouts will continue over the next few months, I will have to start working out in the evening. Tonight is my first night and I'm going to do the elliptical. There are a couple of nights I might be able to work in a swim, but generally the schedule doesn't really work. I figure I can still swim on Saturdays.

I used to swim at the local pool in the evenings, even when it was so cold that I had long johns, warm-up pants, a long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt AND giant puffy coat on over my swimsuit, topped off with a warm moleskin ski cap on my head with all my hair tucked inside. I looked ridiculous, but the Boston weather was not getting through to my damp skin after a swim. I loved coming home from work, eating a quick snack and taking off for the pool. As a bonus, I got to sleep in for a whole additional hour every morning. Totally worth it.

I emailed Jason to ask if he wants to work out with me tonight. My gym will let him come a couple of times as my guest. I don't think he's signed up for the Brown gym yet this semester and I would love for us to get on a family plan. I mean, it's right across the street from our apartment, for heaven's sake. I have 2 motivations for signing him up: 1) He needs it. He's constantly whining about how his shorts and pants and shirts are so much tighter than they used to be. Well, there IS something that you can do about that, you know? But his laziness wins out every time. I honestly don't mind that he's getting a belly, but I know he does, and I also know it's not healthy for him. 2) Purely selfish - I want a gym buddy. It's so much easier when you have someone else to go with you.

No comments: