Friday, January 12, 2007

Testing, Testing

Um, hi there. Remember me?

One of my New Years resolutions is to step up this plan again after letting myself go hog wild over the holidays. As of January 2nd (January 1 was still a holiday after all) no more sugar. Sugar in this case means refined sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Once I had a couple of days of craving all things sweet, I'm now feeling good about it and also just generally doing pretty well at eating healthy. I've lost a few pounds already.

I know many dieting experts and amateurs will tell you that cutting anything out is bad and just equals forbidden and will make you want to binge. Not so, says I. What makes me binge is when I give myself license to eat sugar. Oh, I'll just have a little candy bar. Just a little miniature one. And then I'll have 4 more because they're so wee. Then I'll have a donut because I've been out shopping all day long and there's a Dunkin Donuts right there and maybe I'll have a Vanilla Coolatta too. Or I'll try the cake and the pie and the cookies at the dinner party. Just a little bit of everything, which, when I really think about it, is in reality a big pile of sugary goo. For me, this sugar restriction works. I get one splurge day a month so when I think how it's a bummer that I can't have something on, say, January 8th, I'll just add it to my list for splurge day, which usually winds up being around the end of the month sometime.

As for exercising, my schedule has been pretty wacky over the last few weeks, but I have managed to at least get out and walk more. For instance, I've now walked home from work a few times (including last night), which clocks in at about 3.2 miles. It feels great, I just really need to get my iPod fixed so I have something to listen to besides traffic and me breathing.

So basically, I'm back on the ball and I feel really good about it. Sometimes I get to a lethargic point where I just don't care anymore, but with the New Year has come my new more positive attitude. I know I can do this, I've done it before. I just have to stick to it and hopefully this time lose more weight than last time and NOT gain it back. I don't need to be perfect. I think my main goal right now is to not have to shop at the Lane Bryant for pants. Once I reach that point, I'll set another goal.

4 comments:

Miss Laura said...

Yay! I am so glad to see you blogging over here again as I love this little site!

I'm all or nothing when it comes to sweets as well. Other than sugar, I try not to cut anything else out of my diet because I will feel deprived. (I just modify portions.) However, I have found that doesn't work with me and sugar. I just can't stop at one little piece of candy if there's an entire bowl in front of me. Plus, there's enough sugar free options that I can get over it without too much pain.

Also, I love your new goal. I might adopt that one for myself too!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! We've missed you.

Kelly said...

Laura and AA, thanks for the encouragement on the blog!

Laura, I've had so many people tell me that restricting myself is not the way to go, but I know myself and I know that this works for me. I have to trust myself here and acknowledge that I have no willpower where sugar is concerned.

Anonymous said...

You're inspiring! My only foolproof diet plan so far has been getting pregnant and throwing up for a few months. Not pleasant and not very permanent. I may steal your Lane Bryant goal once this baby is born and I'm allowed to obsess about my weight again.