Monday, September 25, 2006

Scary Ad

I saw an ad on the Metro the other day that I found really disconcerting. I don't even remember what the ad was about, just that the woman in it was freakishly skinny. The ad showed her sitting in a chair with her laptop on her lap, her arms raised over her head in exuberance over something she saw on her laptop.

At first, I couldn't really figure out what it was about the ad that looked wrong to me. Then I realized how much her arms looked like sticks. Basically they were just her arm bones covered with skin. Then I noticed how her whole body only took up about half of a normal-sized chair. She was sitting in the center of the chair, with a quarter of the back showing past one shoulder, and another quarter next to the other shoulder.

Then I noticed the biggest problem: her torso was only a teensy bit wider than her head. This woman's body was basically the same width as her head! Does that strike anyone else as just absolutely wrong?

Is skinnier and skinnier becoming the norm in advertisements, TV and movies, or is it just me? Pretty soon we'll only see walking skeletons in the media. I think we're already seeing some of that.

No comments: