Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Sugar Buzz

Yesterday, I was reminded what a real sugar buzz feels like, even though it was just natural sugar. I swam 2800 yards yesterday morning, then ate eggs and a banana at my desk for breakfast. Then we went to a meeting at another attorney's office, and when we got there, they offered us freshly-squeezed orange juice. Apparently they have this whole kitchen set up with a juicer and all. So I said ok, because how often do you get fresh orange juice? Well, maybe you get it a lot, but I don't.

I drank half of my glass. About 20 minutes later, my brain started buzzing. That's the best way I can describe it. It really feels like there's something going on in my head, and I feel antsy and hyper. It's a surefire indicator to me that my blood sugar is spiking. I guess the juice on top of the banana was too much.

A little while later, I crashed, and I never really recovered for the rest of the day. I was dragging around, getting my work done, but just barely.

That was a good lesson to me that I'm doing the right thing, limiting carbs. I'm feeling out the best way for me to eat and it's starting to work. I already know that my body doesn't like grains, especially wheat. I seem to tolerate corn and rice better than wheat, but I don't eat those that often either.

I don't seem to have a problem with dairy and feel perfectly fine incorporating whole milk and Greek yogurt into my diet.

I'm eating a piece of fruit every day.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes are a-ok, in moderation.

The foundation of my diet is meat and vegetables, particularly green vegetables.

The scale continues to go down bit by bit. Also, weight training + swimming = I can already see my triceps even though they're mostly hidden by excess fat.

1 comment:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Food affects us all so very differently (and the effects also keep changing quite a bit over the years - I'm very aware of this right now!). I'm glad you are figuring out what works for you.

Good job on the weight lifting & swimming! Weight lifting is what always makes the biggest difference in the shape and size of my body (not necessarily on the scale however).