Monday, March 12, 2012

House Update

Saturday I went to lunch with a friend and then we drove around and looked at the outsides of a bunch of houses in southern Mass. One of them made us both go "oooo, pretty!" But when I looked at my notes on the house, I was reminded that it had pink carpet in several rooms.

Really? Who decided pink carpet was a good idea?

The house is kind of at the top end of our price range, and we would definitely have to put some work into it if we moved in. However, included in the price, stretching waaaay back into the woods, is 9.4 acres. My friend asked me what Jason and I would do with 9.4 acres. I thought about it for a second and determined that we would sell half of it. Then we would STILL have 4.6 acres.

Yesterday I drove around another town in Massachusetts and found a darling neighborhod, with families outside enjoying the sun, and this happy little yellow house for sale plopped right in the middle of it all. I'm kind of a sucker for yellow houses.

It's a lot of fun to look around, but in the end, I think we may stay put. The landlady has given us a price, and it's not unreasonable, though I think we're going to try to negotiate in the furniture of hers that we've been borrowing.

Last night, we were talking about little things we could do to fix the place up a bit more to our liking. Put tile in and get a new sink for the half bath. Possibly paint the dining room. Finally finish organizing the stuff we've been putting off organizing because it was a temporary home anyway. Jason was speculating on what exactly it would take to replace the kitchen cabinets.

So I think we're nesting a bit. Or talking about nesting. We'll see how negotiations go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi -- I'm a long-time reader of your blog (even though I don't know you, lol). Anyway, when I bought my fixer-upper house and was on a budget, I replaced all my kitchen cabinets using Ikea cabinets. It's been three years now, and they still are looking great. I highly recommend the Ikea route for kitchen renos on a budget.