Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Radio Silence

Things have been quiet around here.  I just haven't felt like writing.  I'm kind of down, if you must know.

Next week we're going to St. John.  I'm excited, but it's tempered by my lack of working out over the past couple of months because of my shoulder.  Yeah, I know these things take time, but I haven't been able to train at all for our swim.  The good thing is, this time the swim is at the end of our trip so we will have been snorkeling for several days leading up to it so my legs will be good to go.  Also, we're using fins, and I'm so glad we decided to do that.  At the time we felt a little lame, but I know I couldn't do this swim without the fins right now.  Well, okay, I could, but I would be in a lot of pain at the end of it.

As it is, I have a feeling I'm going to be in pain for a few days afterward.  My physical therapist has recommended a couple of things for me to do following the swim to try to mitigate the repercussions. 

Also, I'm just kind of bummed that I'm going to St. John as heavy as I am right now.  I know I'll probably forget about it once I'm in my swimsuit for a couple of days, but right now I'm feeling extremely self-conscious and there's nothing I can do about it.

Also, my work environment has been significantly downgraded in the last month and a half and it's getting to me.  I went from having an office for 6 years to now having a cubicle with no privacy at all.  We've added some new people to our firm and we're in interim space until our new fancy space is built out.  Only, the last I heard we still hadn't signed the lease on the new space.  Originally they said we would move in September.  At the rate things are going, I'm guessing we're going to be here for at least a year. 

I share a cubicle with the filing cabinets, which means the admins and paralegals are constantly buzzing in and out of my space.  I can hear everyone and they can hear me, which sometimes makes client calls a little awkward.  There are two partners who have offices, with doors that close and windows, and the rest of us are out in a common area together.  It's extremely stuffy and most everyone has a fan going at all times, which adds to the overall din.

I know I'm being entitled but, Office.  For 6 years.  Every other lawyer who I tell this story to is horrified.  Because we're all very entitled, I suppose.

But this time next week I'll be in St. John, so I guess I can't be too down.  I have a lot to do before then, though, so, back to work.

No comments: