Friday, July 13, 2012

Waking Up and Getting Up Has Never Been Easy*

So hard to wake up in the mornings.  I'm in this vicious cycle of not being able to sleep really well (woke up at 1:30 this morning; finally went back to sleep at 2:30), and thus not being able to wake up to get to the gym when I need to.  That extra hour and a half of sleep is too sweet.

I know that I would sleep like a rock if I worked out.  I know overall during the day I would have more energy if I worked out.  But I'm having a hard time despite all of the things I logically know.  At least several days this week I've managed to fit in long walks, including walking the 3 1/2 miles home from work yesterday.

Tomorrow I WILL swim.  I can wake up at 6:45 instead of 5:45 and swim.  Hopefully that hour more of sleep before working out will be enough to get me out of bed.  Even so, how much do I wish the Y would extend their lap swimming hours?  Lap swimmers always get the shaft in lieu of paid swimming lessons, water aerobics classes and family free swim.

In other news, I've discovered that I can eat meat and protein and still have a little treat at the end of a day (say, Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips) and manage to keep my carbs well under 100 g.   I know that's not really the point, but it helps me stay on task during the rest of the day.  Nice!


*Elastica!  Anyone else remember 1995?  I used to exercycle early in the morning to the Elastica album.  ...And now I'm kind of depressed that I've been working out for at least 17 years.

1 comment:

Joe and Joanne said...

Hey! So I am not usually much of one for commenting but here I am commenting twice in a row! I just had to share: Did you know that taking a liquid magnesium-calcium supplement about an hour before you hit the hay can help you sleep better? Magnesium is the key in the combo - as it relaxes the skeletal muscles of the body. Adding the calcium is because it's best to take calcium at a separate time than other supplements. Most other supplements (esp. B-vits) inhibit proper absorption of calcium, so if it can be taken at a time away from other supplements it will absorb better and better calcium absorption means better bones! As I've aged (*sigh*) I've become a lighter sleeper and had problems waking up in the wee hours and then a friend of mine told me about taking liquid mag-cal before bed and it has worked like a charm. There are a couple different brands I've used but the one that has worked best for me is Bluebonnet Liquid Calcium Magnesium Citrate Plus Vitamin D3 - which I order on Amazon.